Saturday, October 23, 2010

Less Like Scars: The Journey of Character

Less Like Scars: The Journey of Character

Introduction:

I want to begin by sharing two pieces of literature that has spoke so deeply to my heart over the years. I can identify with what the authors are saying and I truly think there are many others who can as well.

Less Like Scars- song by Sara Groves

It's been a hard year
But I'm climbing out of the rubble
These lessons are hard
Healing changes are subtle But every day it's

Less like tearing, more like building
Less like captive, more like willing
Less like breakdown, more like surrender
Less like haunting, more like remember

And I feel you here
And you're picking up the pieces
Forever faithful
It seemed out of my hands, a bad situation
But you are able
And in your hands the pain and hurt
Look less like scars and more like Character

Less like a prison, more like my room
It's less like a casket, more like a womb
Less like dying, more like transcending
Less like fear, less like an ending

And I feel you here
And you're picking up the pieces
Forever faithful
It seemed out of my hands, a bad situation
But you are able
And in your hands the pain and hurt
Look less like scars

Just a little while ago
I couldn't feel the power or the hope I couldn't cope,
I couldn't feel a thing
Just a little while back I was desperate, broken, laid out, hoping You would come
And I need you And I want you here And I feel you

And I know you're here
And you're picking up the pieces
Forever faithful
It seemed out of my hands, a bad, bad situation
But you are able
And in your hands the pain and hurt
Look less like scars
And more like Character

“When I say I’ve learned to be content with my disfigurement, I don’t mean to be flip or make trite statements such as Beauty lies within and Beauty is on skin deep. How I look is who I am. And I’m content with that. It brings me a real sense of joy when people approach me after they hear me speak, and they say, “When you stand up and start talking, I don’t see scars. They just seem to fade away.” I understand and appreciate what they are saying. But at the same time, there is part of me that wants to explain, If you can’t see my scars, then you don’t really see me. Because those scars are a big part of who I am.” – Joel Sonnenberg

These two writings are the basis of what I sense to share with you. We spend so much time trying to hide our scars. We put the masks on and hide behind what we think people want to see. We spend so much time trying to define our image apart from that which we know we want to be.

We know the talk. We know all about identity. We know all about being made into the image of God. We know we are children of God. We know so much yet we don’t understand how to apply that which we know.

Life happens. This has been a statement that has been on my mind and heart for a few years now. Life isn’t always neatly wrapped up in a nice package.

We find this throughout history: both biblical and natural proportions. We find life happening to people. You can’t avoid it no matter how many times you wish to. Life is what it is.

We find men and women of vulnerability. We find honest people who had to fight, to struggle, to face fear, to believe, to trust and to love. There is something to be said for vulnerability. I believe it is a great testimony of the grace of God in operation in our lives. There is strength in vulnerability and honesty although many view vulnerability as weakness.

His strength is made perfect in our weakness. Weakness isn’t something we should shy away from.

So what does this have to do with scars?

I truly believe that as we are honest with ourselves and others, we will come to a greater understanding of our scars.

Christ didn’t deny the scars. He embraced them. We don’t shy away from His scars. We embrace them.

When Peter tried to tell Him that He didn’t need to go through this, Jesus rebuked him.
Scars serve a purpose. They testify of where we’ve been. They tell a story. They tell of our history. They are there as a reminder.

I love the line in the song: Less like scars and more like character.

Character is developed from the lessons we learn through our pain. There are things we can learn that go deep to the depths of our spirit. There are things I can honestly say, “I don’t ever want to go through that again, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

Like Joel said, “The scars have become a part of who I am.”

Jesus would say the same thing. There would have never been salvation, redemption, healing, deliverance, freedom without those scars.

We truly cannot know who we are without the identification of those scars. Those scars become more than scars. Those scars have birthed and are birthing something significant in our lives: character.

Character isn’t something that just is imparted. Character is developed. The word develop insinuates process, growth, change. Development means stretching.

We are all characters for sure but God is shaping those characters into something that He is pleased with.

Talent without the character to handle those talents is usually disastrous. Without character, life tends to bring more scars.

No comments:

Post a Comment