Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Connection - 20 years and Never Missed A Beat

This weekend was I think one of the most important weekends of the year for me. I had the great opportunity to visit with a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in 20 years. We had met at a Bible Camp when we were 15. I really believe that he left a carbon footprint on my soul.... well the God within him did for sure.

We had a lot to catch up on sure. Life sure has been interesting for the both of us. Lots of good stuff...some trials and tribulations.... fear...frustration..... stress. And yet even in the midst of all that stuff, God is still present and real.

Though 20 years went by, it was like we never missed a beat. Which blows my mind really. 20 years is a long time but I tell you that what a feeling of ease knowing that things hadn't changed in the friendship at all.

I had often wondered where life had taken him and we took the time to talk about everything we could. We shared a lot of stuff on a deeper level.

I was so honored to have been asked to stay in his home and meet his wife and son (and Liberty, the Dog). I felt as if I were part of the family. We're working on another visit soon... not another 20 year wait. :)

As I drove up the driveway to go home, I was overwhelmed by the gift God gave me to reconnect. That's what this whole life is about. Connection. Connection is vital. It's important. We need it. We were created to connect.

It's not about having an answer for every question or a response to every conversation. I think I've learned finally over the last few years that the listening ear is more important. To be there for a person. To let them vent, express, feel what they do. Not to try and change them into who you think they should be. That's not where it's at.

I desire connection. That's what I want in my life. That's what life is all about anyway. I want to be present when they need to talk, vent, express. Here's my ear.... it's ready. I hope I won't feel the need to give the pat answer. If I do, please accept my apology in advance. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment