Saturday, July 16, 2011

Laying Aside the Judgements: Moving from Judgement to Truth

So my thoughts may seem a bit melancholy with this post.

I had heard earlier in the week of someone's passing. I never met them that I am aware of. I had heard of them but always in a negative light so it formed my perception of them but does my perception make them who they really are?

Has what I heard of them be the truth or is it based on someone else's perception?

We do this a lot. We take what we have heard and four our own perceptions and judgments and call them truth. We call it "discernment". Our truth.

Not every "bad" person has only "bad" qualities. There may be many contributing factors to have created the "bad boy" image. There is good in everybody. Sometimes one has to take the time and search for it.

Not every "good" person has only "good" qualities. We are human. We have flaws, failures, indescretions.

So it brings me to the point of this blog. Who set me up as judge and jury on the lives of people? Jesus said so many times "Don't judge. It's not your job." And yet how often I find myself doing it. Judging people is not loving people. Only God is supposed to judge.

I remember a kid growing up and he had such a temper and a bad reputation. I thought, "What a bad kid!" No... he was a kid trying to make it in the world the best he knew how. I don't know where he is now. Hee was a kid who needed love.

Some people seem hard to love but maybe that's the challenge.

Then I think of Victor. A hard life... a hard hand dealt. I wish he would have won with that hand. I wish I could have been better with him rather than judge him. I wonder if we'd have remained good friends no matter where in the world we would find ourselves after all these years? I'd have loved to celebrate with him becoming a grandfather. I would have loved to have good long talks...encourage one another on our respective journeys.

So I think I best lay down the gavel, take off the pious judge's robe and just be what a true normal person should be.... gracious, full of mercy, love, compassion, a big heart full of rooms for everyone. It's time I extend beyond mysel, lay aside all those presumptions, perceptions, and lies and really desire truth. Seek Truth. Search for it. Go after it like a lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment