Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Carbon Footprint People (Excerpt from a book I'm writing)

There are people who leave a carbon footprint on our lives. People of History: People of Faith (that's what Hebrews 11 is all about), People we meet only a few times, People we have long lasting friendships with. These footprints are important in our growth and wholeness.
Historical Figures who have left their carbon footprint on my life:

1) Corrie Ten Boom – I have read many of her books and they have left such an impression on my life. I credit these writings to be the reason I have such a deep love and longing for the European people. Her resilience through all that she faced in and through her life has inspired many people. Her simplicity of looking at life is an amazing thing. Her love for God is astounding even when she could have reason to be angry for all her losses. She wasn’t. She continually served God all the days of her life.
2) The Underground Church in Russia – Again, these people have left their mark on my life. The question always remains: Would I be able to withstand the persecution and love God still? These people stood their ground, met as often as they could and worship God. I would love to travel one day to Russia just to experience first hand the atmosphere these dear brethren lived. I know that Communism is no longer there however, the atmosphere is still charged with it.

People of Faith
1) Teachers of the College I attended and taught at have shown me what it means to believe God, love God, hear God speak and develop a relationship with Him. They taught by example. A dear pastor friend of mine by the name of Dale Lloyd has spoke into my life on many occasions. He shared his heart through his teaching and preaching. What he shared with the students still has an impact on my life to this day. I still remember some of the courses he taught on. He has heard God’s voice and spoke into my life prophetically. He is one of the few people who I have given permission to speak into my life.


Acquaintances:
There are some people who come into your life for a short period of time. It has been one of the most misunderstood things in my life. I have wanted to hold onto these people and their friendship for as long as I could. I’ve learned many great things from them but they were only meant to be mere acquaintances. It is best to enjoy their friendship for the time you have them and allow them to move on to their next reason for living.

One of the greatest experiences that I have had in the past few months have been becoming reconnected to people who I haven’t seen in 20-25 years. These people had such an impact on my life. They left a carbon footprint even though I have limited contact with them.

This is something we must understand and realize. Everyone that we come into contact with, no matter how limited, leaves an impact on their souls. I learned so much from these people. I learned to accept compliments. I learned to accept myself. I learned to be me.

I used to take it as rejection when people would leave. I would internalize it and think there was something wrong with me. It’s not that at all. It’s not about me. It’s not about them. It’s about what life is. Life is a cycle. People are in our lives for a reason in a season. I must learn to bless them, release them and allow them to go and leave their carbon footprint on the life of someone else. They’re carbon footprint is forever etched on my heart. Why would I not want them to go and leave their footprint on the heart of someone else?

Being reconnected to these great people has become one of the best things in my life. The friendship is sweet. I look forward to what lies ahead.

I have memories that are my treasures from these experiences. This is what life is all about. Memories. Life is made up of memories.

I look back:
People helped me with getting into music and singing. I grew from that into writing and singing songs that mean something to me and help people connect to their own experience.

People helped me by encouraging me to be who God intended me to be. They may not have always understood why I was doing what I was doing but they supported me.

People listened to me during dark hours in my life.

People supported my dream of traveling to Europe. I was able to go to Poland and leave my carbon footprint on their lives through ministry.

We are all called and anointed and appointed to leave our footprint on the lives of others. The theme of this whole book is that we are created for relationship. We all need each other, whether we be only mere acquaintances or joined-to-the-hip friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment