Sunday, May 22, 2011

Human Songs From A Faith Perspective

So I am preparing to sing for Relay For Life in my home community where I grew up. They had called and asked me to come back and sing. I am so pleased that they called me rather than having to call them and look like I'm begging to sing. I have never liked to ask to sing. It makes me look desperate. I remember telling my pastors in times past that if they wanted me to sing that they would have to ask me. I wasn't going to ask to sing. That's not to say I haven't asked to sing. But it is quite rare.

In this blog, I have shared the journey that my family have been on over the last two years. I have shared about writing songs about it. I have sung songs about the journey. Writing these songs have been very helpful in processing the journey.

I grew up singing in church, singing church songs, worship songs, Christian songs. I love singing these songs. They are important.

I write Christian songs.

However, these songs that I've been writing over the last two years aren't necessarily Christian songs per say. They aren't songs I probably could sing in a Church setting. Not that I'm ashamed of these songs. These songs are probably some of the most important songs I've ever written.

I would label these songs as such: Human Songs from a Faith Perspective.

Human Songs are songs about life. Real life. Pain, fear, joy, patience, healing, wonder. I feel that these songs have been (and I hope they continue to) a means for encouraging other people who identify with the emotions of life.

These songs use the word "Baby", "Darling", etc. These words make people uncomfortable (Christians). I remember the controversy back in 1991 when Amy Grant was using these words in her songs. Charlie Peacok's album "Love Life" was very controversial and banned from Christian Bookstores.

Yet these cds were simply expressing human feelings, emotions, realities.

Many artists don't want to be simply Christian Artists. I don't believe that they are ashamed of beings Christians. They simply want to express life from a Faith Perspective.

So these songs for Relay For Life are Human Songs. I won't apologize for singing Human Songs. I'm a Christian and not ashamed of that. Everyone knows I am. But I want to sing these two songs with passion, and faith. And maybe someone will hear these songs will identify themselves with them and leave this gathering with a better understanding of the strength they possess inside.


Love’s Whisper is Louder

You’ve come this far on the wings of grace
You couldn’t have made it without faith
I know you’re afraid of what lies ahead
I’m not here to tell you your fear is unfounded
Cause it’s not me walking down this road
And it would be easy to give the easy answer
It’s okay darling cause Faith is still faith
And you know love is love and that’s all we all need


Chorus:
I remember the day when a piece of my heart died
And I know yours was shattered with just a look
Fear has been a voice whispering in the background
Love’s whisper is louder and revives one piece at a time

You’ve come this far on the winds of mercy
You couldn’t have made it without faith
I know you’re afraid of the unknown
I’ll be the first to admit that I am too
But this one thing I know to be true
You’ve never been left alone to believe in tomorrow
It’s okay darling cause Faith is still faith
And you know love is still love and that’s all we need

There’s too much healing left in your hands
To not be given to an entire world
There’s too much love left in your heart
To keep to yourself, it’s not something you can do

Clayton A Stairs, February 13, 2011



Determination

Life hasn't been an easy one for you
For whatever reason that may be
Lot of mountains to climb
And valleys to trudge along through
I don't understand
I don't even pretend to
I'm just a spectator on the sidelines
Watching how you'll take this next turn

Chorus:
I must say you amaze me every time
I see determination in your eyes
They burn a hole in my heart
They make me wonder if I have that inside of me

You fight a war sometimes quietly
Sometimes with a vengeance
Where does your strength come from, Baby
Really I already know, I just want to hear it from your lips

Fight on Baby
Fight on
Courageous warrior
Fight on

Clayton A Stairs, May 17th, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment