Saturday, April 9, 2011

When Ministry Takes A Turn... Change Isn't A Bad Thing

I have a sense that the longer I live my life the picture of what ministry truely be is changing. When I graduated High School, I knew I was to go to Bible College and be trained. I had a picture in my mind that I would be a pastor. As life progressed, I became a Bible College Teacher. I have a heart for teaching. I love to teach and to share. In all those years of teaching, I noticed a huge change in me as an individual. The style of teaching changed from the mentality that "I'm the teacher -- you're the student"... to one of simply talking to people. With that came a vulnerability and an openness to share a side of me that I didn't let people see too often. I thought people wanted me to be a "strong leader". My perception of what a strong leader changed. It's not about "look at me"... it's about here's my scars.... here's my story... maybe you can identify with that. Now, I sense in my heart ministry for me is changing yet again. There is this deep sense that I want to keep that vulnerability in my teaching but I really sense that I want to be a prophetic encourager. I want to be able to have God download what He wants said and done to me and to be simply a vessel of encouragement to people....whether that be one-on-one or a church setting. I see conferences. I see some travelling involved. It's not about building my own kingdom or a name for myself because I could care less about that. If I can encourage people in their journey and relationship with God that would be amazing. If I can encourage people to go deeper in their faith....awesome. The reason I can encourage is because I've been encouraged. I used to challenge people because I was being challenged. I want to teach because I have been taught. I want to share because people have taken the time to share with me. If I can share the love that God has for people... oh what a joy! I kind of wonder if people hold on too long to what their ministry had been. Ministry, I think, is meant to change and grow and mature. What I used to do may or may not be what I am called to do today. I need to be open for change. Rather than rely on what has been, I need to rely on Him and allow Him the opportunity to bring and birth change into the calling. Wasn't it Him who birthed the calling in the first place? If He wants to bring a turn in the road shouldn't I be open to take the turn? Change isn't a bad thing....

No comments:

Post a Comment