Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Restoring of Wonder

Well it's been a while since I've blogged. I find that my life isn't all that exciting and when there's nothing to say why try and invent something to say just to fill up space. I do however have something that I feel God showed me this week that I want to take a moment and share. It convicted me so and maybe it will help you.

The thought is this: Wonder.

As a child, we are born with this instinctive quality to wonder. Everything is a wonder, a mystery. There was never a day that went by that we didn't learn something, experience something, come away with something to build character in our lives.

However, as we grow, we tend to lose that instinctive quality for whatever reason. Life tends to not be as mysterious, full of wide-eyed wonder.

This is the statement I heard in my heart this week: When we lose our sense of wonder, we are one step closer to complacency.

Think for a moment. Has life just become ho-hum? Has life lost its youthfulness? It's wonder? It's mystery?

Have you felt a bit lukewarm? A bit complacent? A bit less compassionate and caring?

Could it be that the sense of wonder has dimmed in our lives?

It's easy to lose sight of the wonder. It's easy to take that step closer to complacency.

Sometimes God has to move us into action inorder to reveal to us that we had become complacent. It's not about what has happened to us or who has wronged us as how we've let things happen to us and how we have wronged others and ourselves.

When wonder is restored, the mystery is restored. Everything takes on a new meaning. Everything is life-giving rather than life-sucking.

Take time to listen with your heart as to what God is saying to you. It may not be a physical move as it is a spiritual move. It may not be a transition of geographic proportions as it is a transition of spiritual proportions.

He's calling. Pick up the line and rather than spew off what it is you don't like, take a deep breath and say, "Yes, God, I'm listening."

1 comment: